Everyone’s extolling the praises of the outdoor living room this year, but nothing we’ve read has really nailed down the reasons we think should be top of the list for spending time outdoors. It’s not just an excuse to buy great furniture (although, obviously we can get behind that, and we can help if you’re dying for a gorgeous set of furniture to lounge on), but it’s also a great time to notice things you might not otherwise notice if you were, say, cooped up in your regular old living room.
So we put together a list of five things better experienced outdoors than indoors.
- A good sunset. Oh, we know, you’re thinking “duh.” But we’re not, because a good sunset isn’t just about a massive picture window or a good view. It’s also about everything that comes with a good sunset: birds floating into trees for the night; lizards catching the last rays of sunlight; that peculiar drop in temperature right as the sun hits the horizon. See? Way better than indoors.
- Conversation. Yes, really. There’s something about the way voices carry in open air that can’t be replicated indoors. You have to lean in closer to talk to people; you need to pay special attention, we think. Try it. It’ll never be the same.
- Food and drink. Oh, sure, you can put together a killer table setting indoors, but take the same table setting outdoors, and it gets elevated to a whole new level. Decorate the dinner table with cuttings from your garden; clip mint for your water pitchers from your own herb patch; string up some lights and watch as your backyard is transformed into a microcosm of joy that you just won’t be able to re-create inside, no matter how hard you try.
- Television, or any old movie. This is a no-brainer. Just think about it: Why do so many folks flock to those Movie-in-the-Park events, no matter what’s playing?
- Your evening cocktail, or cup of tea. What better way to wind down than outdoors, while nature is also winding down? In the ever-lengthening evenings, take advantage of twilight-at-8PM to take some time to reflect on the day you’ve had–and to look forward to the one that’s coming right up.
Really, who are we kidding? Everything’s better outdoors. Don’t believe us? Shop our exclusive outdoor line by clicking here.